6.12.2018

Dad

My dad is gone from this Earth. I no longer have his tangible presence. The rest of his presence is hard to feel right now through the pain, the hurt, the anger, the sadness.


Writing is one of the only ways I feel like I can adequately express feelings so they are no longer stuck in my head. I still don't feel like I know how to write about my dad being gone. I still want him to come back.

My mom asked the kids to share some memories for the funeral. These are the ones I felt I could fit into five minutes. There are so many more and so many I wish we could still make. Until more can be made I will strive to remember all I can.



Memories

I put off compiling this until last night. I didn't know how or what to share. On Tuesday driving back here from Logan I prayed silently for a long time that my Heavenly Father would help me remember and recall the memories.

I just remember him being my dad. I remember hearing the story of him sitting watch outside my hospital door to ensure my mother and I were able to rest when finally getting to sleep after surgery to remove a tumor in my spinal column. He would NOT let the nurses come through that door when his girls were trying to rest. They had to go through him first!

I remember him reminding me constantly, "Daddy loves you." His long distance hugs over the phone which I got plenty of being the long distance kid for the last 10 years. Our phone conversations ended with these so very often that he would tell me to take my left hand and put it on my right shoulder, my right hand and put it on my left shoulder and squeeze. "That's
daddy giving you a hug."

I remember every time I walked out the door of the house, his chair sits right by that front door, and he would almost always no matter if we hugged already, stick his hand out and grab mine to squeeze before leaving. I remember sitting on his lap, even with his 30 year old daughter, he'd pull me in tight with my head on his shoulder and tell me that he was proud of me, Nathan, and all three of our little ones.

My dad would give anything to anybody but some things were harder for him to part with, like his hat. He didn't let many people handle certain hats but once he had grandkids all his hats became fair game. I know Nathan and Kamden have a number of hats given to them from dad, including a nice brown cowboy hat to Kamden like the one sitting with my dad here today. My mouth hung open a little bit the day my dad handed that hat over to his grandson without hesitation.

I remember him telling me countless times as a teenager in his serious voice, "Don't you roll your eyes at me!" I remember watching the 5-8 minute train video called "Give it Your Best" that I have no idea where he found, every morning before school for months. We sighed every morning he'd pull us into his room, sit us on his bed and push play to that VHS. I think we all expected it to last for a week or so but instead it last for at least a month if not longer! Every morning! We sang "Love is Spoken Here" often in our house, but very begrudgingly, when my dad caught us fighting.

I remember strict curfews, guns being talked about when we went out on dates, and strict questions of approval to an incoming son-in-law. I remember seeing my sleeping babies on his lap, huge bear hugs, and kisses to those babies, and his face light up when they walked in the door. I remember him being scared to hold his brand new grandbabies, worrying about being so very gentle with those hands of his.

I remember his hands. In 2012 on my family blog I wrote about these hands.

"My dad is not a small man, and neither are his hands. Although, he does not have lengthy fingers or hands, they are solid and if you've ever met the man, you have probably met his strong handshake as well. He's not afraid to use those hands for all jobs, rough and tough. However, I know of many times he has used those hands to smooth back some hair from his daughters face or to cradle his grandchildren.

These hands, of my father's have not seen the likes of lotion too many times but we couldn't count how many times they have been covered in grease or dirt. The roughness in his hands tell of many trials, small and great that have been fought head on, while those small smooth spots tell of humility in times that he pulled himself up, always working harder and harder."

My dad taught me to Never give up. When I was thinking of what I felt portrayed the life of my dad, and what he would want me to remember, I thought of one of my favorite songs called, "Broken" by Kenneth Cope.


The song reads:

Broken clouds give rain
Broken soil grows grain
Broken bread feeds man for one more day

Broken storms yield light
The break of day heads night
Broken pride turns blindness into sight

Broken souls that need His mending
Broken hearts an offering
Could it be that God loves broken things..?

Broken chains set free
Broken swords bring peace
Broken walls make friends of you and me

To break the ranks of sin
To break the news of Him
To put on Christ til His name feels broken in

Broken souls in need of mending
Broken hearts an offering
I believe that God loves broken things

But, oh, our broken faith
Our broken promises
Sent love to the cross...
But still that broken flesh
That broken heart of His
Offers us such grace and mercy
Covers us with love undeserving

My broken soul that cries for mending
My broken heart an offering
I'm convinced that God loves broken me...

Praise His name, our God loves broken things.


My dad had plenty of "broken" moments in life. He was broken down and built back up a number of times but he never gave up. He learned to partake of a perfect Atonement from his Savior every day of his life and he used the brokenness to improve. No matter the challenges he didn't give in. He learned to hold strong and keep going.

This is my dad and so much more. He was mine and that is a tender mercy I was blessed with greatly. Thanks daddy. I look forward to the day I will sit on your lap again and feel you squeeze me tight. You always told me, "Daddy loves you."


I love you too.

3 comments:

  1. Sure do love you Sharon, what a great inspiration you are in my life, a great mother and wife and a wonderful daughter and granddaughter. May God bring the peace in your life you desire but always know that you are loved by all your extended family, especially me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon.......you beautiful, sweet angel. I’ve been thinking and thinking of, and praying for you since Fi told me, but didn’t know what to say with so much distance between us. After reading this, through some copious tears, it sounds like your dad and my dad would have gotten on swimmingly! I can tell you it does get easier, but you will never get over missing him. I have a couple of very vivid memories of how I felt during that time. We lost my dad to lung cancer twelve years ago and I remember sitting on my couch when I first heard his diagnosis. It was a mixture of being absolutely stunned and trying, just trying to imagine a world without my dad. I couldn’t fathom it. I also felt him leave this world even though I was miles away. I was driving home from the hospice with my load of kids, including my nephews. I knew when I walked into the house and the phone rang it would be my sister telling me he was gone. I not only lost a dad, but one of my best friends. I still miss him every. Stinkin’. Day. I miss laughing with him until we are doubled over with tears running down our faces, I miss talking politics with him, I miss crying on his shoulder, I miss his spontaneity and how fun life was around him. I miss his love of words and his excitement about them. I still remember when he was reading Moby Dick at the kitchen table and he would read long passages out load because he thought Melville’s writing was so beautiful. I remember going camping with him, my sister and I, and throwing our sleeping bags on the ground and sleeping under the stars, and him teaching us how to build a camp fire. I never slept in a tent until I was married! And he made friends wherever he went! Even the Santa Monica Pier at one in the morning! I’ll have to tell you about that one sometime. I miss listening to him sing when he drove and his raucous watching of football that would lull me to sleep when I was little. I also wonder how different life would be if he was still around. Would his grandsons have strayed so far, would we have been able to avoid a lot of the heartache we’ve suffered? I don’t know. I mourn all that he has missed. Getting to know Gracie, Fi getting married, getting to know Josh and finally having someone to watch football with! And seeing his first beautiful, perfect, great-granddaughter. But I do know that Heavenly Father’s vision reaches unfathomable distances and his plan is so beautiful. To many in this world that may seem trite and small comfort, but you and I know. And while we mourn and miss them we know this is only a little blip in the grand scheme of things. But oh! how unbearable these little blips can be, right? And finally, hats! I totally get the hat thing because it was the same with my dad. All the grandkids picked one of Grandpa’s hats to remember him, and whoever gives the gifts out at Christmas wears his top hat. He was he biggest kid of all when it came to Christmas!

    Hold on and hold to your faith. It will get easier. And remember that their influence does live on through us!

    Lots and lots of love,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cassie! I never saw your comment on here until tonight when I was missing him, going through some previous posts and words trying to remember things. Your words were a tender mercy to me! Lots of love!

      Delete