5.27.2014

Eating Clean: A Labor of Love

I know that title sounds kind of cheesy and a little ridiculous but I seriously believe clean eating is a labor of love.

Image found here.


Why?

1. I eat clean not because I hate my body but because I LOVE it! I promise I have not changed my eating habits out of a sheer will to be skinny. It just doesn't work that way. I feed my body good, wholesome, clean food because I want my body to run efficiently and I feel a million times better physically and emotionally when I do. I have more energy...my mood improves...I sleep better...my depression improves...and I just feel better!

2. Clean Eating isn't always easy. Let me be completely honest and say that some days it's really hard. You are cutting out all the processed junk so when you are eating real food that has been processed as minimally as possible you have put in a little more effort. However, that doesn't mean it has to be complicated. Clean meals can be simple but delicious at the same time. It doesn't all come in a day, a week, or even a month. It will take time to change all your habits and make clean eating into something you can make a lifestyle but I promise you it can be done and it is well WORTH it!

Picture taken by me and posted to my Instagram fitness page.

So, what does eating clean entail? Here are the basics for you that I have laid out in five steps.

1. Cut out and limit processed foods as much as possible. That means when you are grocery shopping you want to stick to foods on the outside perimeter of the store for most of your food. Most things that are canned, boxed, or bagged are not going to fit into your diet but remember that not all of these things are bad for you too. Whole wheat pasta, whole grains, and oatmeal are all great choices in the middle aisles. Beans, chickpeas, and natural peanut butter are also all foods that can be incorporated into a healthy, clean-eating diet. Read the ingredient list and if it's lengthy or unfamiliar chances are you don't want to eat it. 

2. Eat your whole foods (those that don't normally have a commercial) as much as possible. Eat your veggies and your fruits. Consume good sources of protein and mostly lean meats. Mother Earth won't lead us astray. What grows from her ground is going to nourish your body and mind in a much better way than anything man made! ;-) Stick to whole grains and get rid of your refined grains. Stop using white flour and sugar or anything that contains it. They are processed so replace them with whole grains and natural sweetners.

3. Don't completely eliminate fats, just eat healthy ones. Cut down on your saturated fat. When you have a sandwich replace your mayo for avocado and next time you have a salad do a quick, homemade vinaigrette rather than store bought ranch or top it with some nuts rather than cheese. Chose natural peanut butter over cream cheese on your toast.

4. Cut out your alcohol, soda, coffee and juice drinks! Any of these beverages are actually most often dehydrating you, they are full of sugar, caffeine, or both, and they are only added calories or sugars. Your body needs water! Drink it! And, if you get bored start infusing your water with berries, cucumbers, mint leaves, basil leaves, and more! Get creative and make it more fun. If you can't give it up completely then limit it. Gradually cut one a day out until you don't need it anymore. You can go cold turkey but remember your body will have withdrawals because it was mostly likely an addiction. ;-)

5. Cut out your sugar and watch your salt intake. Sugar will turn to fat. I promise. The white sugar we pile on everything is extremely processed and your body does not process it. Use natural sweeteners like honey, stevia, agave syrup, or coconut sugar. You can still have treats but make it a clean eating treat that you can have in moderation and still not ruin all your hard work. When it comes to salt, chose Pink Himilayan Salt. It is minimally processed and still contains the minerals your body needs. Other salts can make you body retain water and just add to your sodium intake. If you need more flavor to your food spice it up with herbs or seasonings with limited salt.

6. Don't starve yourself. You need to fuel your body and to do that you need to be eating often. Eat 5-6 small meals a day to fuel your body and keep it from going into starvation mode and storing fat. If you want energy you need to provide your body with the means to make that energy by feeding it complex carbohydrates, lean protein, healthy fats, vegetables, whole grains, and fruit (nature's candy)!

Pictures taken and compiled by me to post on my Facebook fitness page.
Most importantly, clean eating is something you should be able to make into a lifestyle that works for you and your family. My definition and your definition might sometimes be a little different but overall, the goal is to feed your body clean, wholesome food not once in a blue moon but regularly as a lifestyle you can make your own and be consistent with.


No comments:

Post a Comment