8.18.2014

Sweet and Sour Chicken (Clean Eating)

Before I started eating clean the two words clean eating just flat out intimidated me. I thought I could never eat normal meals again. It would be all lean meat and vegetables with nothing that really bursted with flavor. Haha...was I ever wrong! In fact, the clean eating foods and meals I eat now are more rich with flavor than my food ever has been before. You don't have to add artificial things and packaged products to increase flavor. There are natural options and spices totally make your meal what it is!

I decided to try this recipe on Sunday. I've made clean Orange Chicken before and loved it (a recipe for the future) but I didn't have any oranges or orange juice so I opted for Sweet and Sour Chicken. This recipe is adapted from Clean Eating Mag.

Photo from Clean Eating Mag (because it is much prettier than mine :-))


Sweet and Sour Chicken

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup liquid aminos
  • 4-6 tbsp raw honey (to your liking)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts), chopped into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
  • 2 cups pineapple cut into chunks with juice
  • 12 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • Coconut oil for sauteing chicken.
  • Cornstarch mixed with water for thickening if desired
Directions:

Mix together liquid aminos, honey, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a blender or food processor. Saute chicken and peppers in coconut oil. When close to being done add in your sauce. Bring to a boil and add in pineapple with juice. When boiling again add cornstarch and water mixture in while stirring rapidly to thicken as desired. Garnish with cilantro.

Serve over brown rice with some vegetables on the side.

*Make sure not to overcook your chicken, drying it out.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment